Last updated April 2023

Link to state website


Jon Kart
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department
Phone 802-595-1810
1 National Life Drive, Davis 2
Montpelier, VT 05620-3702

Is a state permit needed for banding?

A state permit is required to take any native bird(including capture and banding). If you intend to band unlisted birds only (no collection of feathers, blood samples, etc.) then a federal banding permit can double as your state permit. If more than simple banding is planned, or if you will capture listed birds, then a state permit is required.

Per the regulatory definition, “(23) Take and taking: pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing, capturing, trapping, snaring, and netting fish, birds, and quadrupeds and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or wounding or placing, setting, drawing, or using any net or other device commonly used to take fish or wild animals, whether they result in the taking or not; and shall include every attempt to take and every act of assistance to every other person in taking or attempting to take fish or wild animals, provided that when taking is allowed by law, reference is had to taking by lawful means and in lawful manner.” Vermont Statutes Annotated. Title 10. Conservation and Development. Chapter 101. Definitions.

Permit application forms

State lands

Permission is required prior to commencement of collecting activities on state lands. A special use permit is required for any collection activity on lands owned by the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, Forests Parks & Recreation Department, and Department of Environmental Conservation. If you have any questions about whether or not a permit is needed for an activity you are planning on Agency of Natural Resources lands, you may contact the District Office in your region of the state.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.

Statutes and Regulations

Vermont Statutes Annotated Title 10: Conservation and Development Chapter 103: Fish and Wildlife Department 4152. Permits for scientific and educational collections

Vermont state endangered species law

Regulation: Code of Vermont Rules. Agency 12. Agency of Natural Resources. Subagency 10: Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. 10 V.S.A. § 5408. Authorized takings; incidental takings

Vermont Endangered and Threatened Species

Spruce Grouse (Falcipennis canadensis)
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Upland Sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda)
Black Tern (Chlidonias niger)
Common Tern (Sterna hirundo)
Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor)
Loggerhead Shrike (Lanius ludovicianus)
Sedge Wren (Cistothorus platensis)
Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus)
Henslow’s Sparrow (Ammodramus henslowii)

Red Knot (Calidris canutus) T
Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum) T
Eastern Whip-poor-will (Caprimulgus vociferus) T