Last updated April 2023

Link to state website


Wildlife Registration Office
1594 West North Temple, Suite 2110
Box 146301
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6301
Phone: (801) 538-4701

Is a state permit needed for banding?

Yes. The application form expressly includes banding as one activity covered by the permit.

Permit application forms

State lands

To be determined. It is always a good practice to contact the manager of the state park, forest, or wildlife management area where you plan to work to be sure your work will not interfere with their management activities or conflict with public use, including hunting.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.


Regulations: Utah Administrative Code R657-3. Collection, Importation, Possession

Threatened and Endangered Species

Utah does not have a threatened or endangered species law or regulation.