Last updated April 2023

Link to state website


Investigator Russell Boles
Phone: 615-934-7505

Is a state permit needed for banding?

Yes, the statute includes capture.

Permit application forms

  • Online application Form (must register first)
  • Renewal – same form
  • Threatened and Endangered – same form
  • Salvage – same form

State lands

Anyone wishing to collect biological or geological materials, or air or water samples, or install research equipment on State Park or Designated State Natural Area land must obtain a scientific research and collecting permit from the Resource Management Division. If the collections are to include animals, or if any one wishes to collect on a Wildlife Management Area, a separate permit must be obtained from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.


Tennesse Code Annotated (Statute) 70-2-213. Permits for scientific purposes

Tennessee state endangered species

TN Administrative Code Chapter 1660-01-32-02. Threatened and Endangered Species List and Rules.  


Bachman’s Sparrow (Peucaea aestivalis)


Henslow’s Sparrow (Ammodramus henslowii)
Golden-winged Warbler (Vermivora chrysoptera)