South Dakota

Last updated July 2020

Link to state website


Casey Heimerl
Dept. of Game Fish and Parks
Natural Heritage Program
Foss Bldg. 523 E. Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605-773-4345

Is a state permit needed for banding?

A Scientific Collector’s permit is not required for migratory bird banding if a researcher already has a Federal Bird Banding Permit.

However, please check with the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish, and Parks. They may require a permit if the project entails banding nestlings, attaching transmitters, or other methods beyond mist-netting and banding.  If there is any question about whether a permit is needed, the researchers should contact SD GFP.  If in doubt, it is best to obtain a permit, they are free and turnaround is generally fast.

Permit application forms

State lands

A Scientific Collector’s permit is also required to collect wildlife or plant species from State Parks, Recreation Areas, and Game Production Areas.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.



South Dakota Administrative Rules

41:09:16:01.  Eligibility requirements. The secretary may grant, with approval from the commission, a scientific collector’s license to persons or institutions engaged in scientific research, deemed bona fide by the secretary, or to an incorporated society of natural history for scientific or educational purposes.

41:09:16:02.  Application for license. A person or institution must apply for a scientific collector’s license on forms provided by the department. The form must contain complete information on the species and numbers of nests, eggs, and wild animals, including any part thereof, requested to be collected, the method of collection, the locations of collection, the collection period, what the purpose or use of the collected specimens will be, the institution for which collections are being made, and final disposition of the specimens collected.

 41:09:16:03.  Conditions of license. The license may contain special conditions and provisions for collections of specific nests, eggs, and wild animals, including any part thereof. The license shall limit the numbers and specimens to be collected and shall display the expiration date of the license.

41:09:16:04.  Reporting required. A licensee must keep complete records of specimens collected, dates, locations, and dispositions of specimens collected. A collection report form must be completed and submitted to the department in Pierre no later than January 31, following the year in which the scientific collector’s license was issued.

41:09:16:05.  Violations. Violation of any terms of the license or failure to submit the required reports is grounds for termination of the license and for refusal to issue the license in succeeding years.

South Dakota state endangered species law

South Dakota Administrative Rules

41:10:02:19.  Endangered species permit exemption. A state endangered species permit is not required for possession of legally acquired or legally taken raptors {a live migratory bird of the Order Falconiformes or the Order Strigiformes, other than a bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)} or any of their progeny.


Eskimo Curlew (Numenius borealis)
Interior Least Tern (Sterna antillarum athalassos)
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
Whooping Crane (Grus americana)


American Dipper (Cinclus mexicanus)
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus)