Last updated July 2020

Link to state website


Nicole Stuttgen
Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
4034 Fairview Industrial Dr SE
Salem, OR 97305

Is a state permit needed for banding?

Yes. Under Oregon’s regulations, take is defined as “(26) “Take” means to kill or obtain possession or control of any wildlife.”

Permit application forms

  • Application Form
  • Renewal – via email
  • Threatened and Endangered – same form
  • Salvage – same form

State lands

To be determined

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. Even if not expressly required to do so, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit or with the owner of private land before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not adversely affect public use of the land or with the activities of private landowners.


Oregon Administrative Rules
Chapter 635. Department of Fish and Wildlife
Division 43. Other Regulations. Miscellaneous Permits and Records.


The purpose of these rules is to describe the regulations governing fur dealers, taxidermists, hide and antler dealers, scientific collectors, and other miscellaneous permits.

Purpose of Scientific Taking Permits

Rules to take wildlife for scientific study allow educational institutions and private and public scientists a means to study or gain knowledge of wildlife. The Department acts as coordinator and contact for wildlife research projects conducted in Oregon. Refer to division 7 for taking fish on a Scientific Taking Permits.

Scientific Taking Permit Requirements

Any person desiring to take wildlife for scientific purposes must first secure a Scientific Taking Permit by applying to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. The application shall list the wildlife species and numbers to be collected, the areas and methods of collecting, purpose for collecting, the date of application, the name, address, occupation, and signature of the applicant, and the signature and affiliation of the sponsor if the applicant is a student. This permit may not be used in lieu of a hunting license.

Cost of Permit

(1) Wildlife Scientific/Educational Taking Permits (K-12 grades) shall be issued at no cost and shall expire on December 31 of the year issued.

(2) Wildlife Scientific/Educational Taking Permits (other) shall cost $119.50 (plus a $2.00 license agent fee) and shall expire on December 31 of the year issued.

Conditions of Scientific Taking Permit

Scientific taking permittees shall adhere to all requirements, terms, and conditions included on the Scientific Taking Permit and the record keeping requirements below:

(1) Every scientific taking permittee shall at the time of taking wildlife, record the species, numbers, area and date wildlife were taken.

(2) Records shall be maintained at the business address of the scientific taking permittee for a period of three years.

(3) Records shall be sent to the Department at 4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE, Salem, OR 97302 within 30 days of the expiration of the permit.

Persons Eligible for Scientific Taking Permit

Any person who has need to collect wildlife for the purpose of acquiring knowledge thereof may apply for a Scientific Taking Permit. Eligible persons include members of public or private scientific organizations, professional educators, college or university students working under the sponsorship of accredited professors, and scientists employed by private corporations and public natural resource agencies. An application will be evaluated for approval and may be denied if it lacks merit.

Cancellation of Scientific Taking Permit

Failure to comply with the conditions stipulated in OAR 635-043-0030 through 635-043-0040 is cause to cancel the permit and confiscate the wildlife taken.

Oregon state endangered species law

Oregon Revised Statutes

496.172 Commission management authority for threatened or endangered species; rules. In carrying out the provisions of the wildlife laws with regard to the management of wildlife that is a threatened species or an endangered species, the State Fish and Wildlife Commission:

      (4) By rule, shall establish a system of permits for scientific taking of threatened species and endangered species and shall establish a system of state permits for incidental taking of state-designated threatened species and endangered species not listed by the federal government under such terms and conditions as the commission determines will minimize the impact on the species taken. An incidental taking permit or statement issued by a federal agency for a species listed under the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205, 16 U.S.C. 1531), as amended, shall be recognized by the state as a waiver of any state protection measures or requirements otherwise applicable to the actions allowed under the federal permit.


California Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis californicus)
California Least Tern (Sterna antillarum browni)
Short-tailed Albatross (Diomedea) Phoebastria albatrus)


Marbled Murrelet (Brachyramphus marmoratus)
Northern Spotted Owl (Strix occidentalis caurina)
Western Snowy Plover (Charadrius nivosus nivosus)