Last updated April 2023


Sarabeth Klueh-Mundy
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
Wildlife Diversity Program
P.O. Box 98000
Baton Rouge, LA 70898
Office: (225) 765-0239

Is a state permit needed for banding?

Yes. A permit is needed to capture/handle wildlife Louisiana for research or monitoring purposes, whether individuals are temporarily held (e.g. bird banding) or lethally collected.

Permit application forms

  • Application Form
  • Renewal – same form
  • Threatened and Endangered – same form, see restrictions
  • Salvage – same application form

State lands

If research or collections will occur on state Wildlife Management Areas (WMA), a separate WMA Special Use Permit is required. Similarly, if collections will occur on state Refuges, a separate Letter of Permission is required.

Prior notice

Check permit conditions. As a matter of good practice, you should always contact the manager of that particular state land unit before your arrival. You want to be aware of the hunting seasons, and, of course want to be sure that your activities will not interfere with the activities of that park, wildlife management area, or other state land unit, and that your activities will not interfere with public use of the land.


Louisiana Revised Statutes, Title 56 §105.  Special permits and licenses

Endangered Species

The Louisiana Revised Statutes (56.1904) gives the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries to list species as threatened or endangered. By regulation (Louisiana Administrative Code 76.317A) the following species have been listed:

These lists change over time. Please be sure to contact the state agency for current species status.

Red Knot Calidris canutus T
Piping Plover Charadrius melodus T
Interior Least Tern Sterna antillarum athalassos E
Red-cockaded Woodpecker Picoides borealis E
Whooping Crane Grus americana E