Last updated April 2023

Link to state website


Mark Van Scoyoc, Stream Survey Coordinator, Scientific Collection permits
KDWPT Operations Office, Pratt, KS
(620) 672-5911

Is a state permit required for banding?

Yes. (pers.comm. 29 June 2009, M. Van Skoyoc, Kansas Wildlife and Parks, to E. Paul: “Capture and marking would require a state permit.  Even though there would be no retention of collected specimens, having them in hand and for scientific purposes implies possession.”

Permit application form

  • Apply online
  • Threatened and Endangered: use link above; work with threatened or endangered species requires approval by the appropriate bureau and the authorization of the Director of the Department of Natural Resources or the Director’s designee.

State lands

Permission to enter any lands, either public or private, to conduct permitted activity must be obtained from the owner or manager before entry. Permittees are required to get permission from state (or federal) land managers as well as private land owners.  You may get a permit without this permission, but the permit does not guarantee you’ll get permission to collect on state lands (or federal/private).

Prior notice

Not expressly required, but ornithologists should always notify the land manger or landowner of the dates, times, and places where activities will take place to assure the safety of the researcher and to avoid conflict with activities scheduled for other researchers or the general public.


Kansas Administrative Regulations

Endangered species

Kansas has a state endangered species law. The bird species protected under that law are listed below, but be sure to double-check – these lists change.


Least Tern (Sterna antillarum)
Whooping Crane(Grus americana)


Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus
Snowy Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus)