General info

Last updated November 2017


Mark S. Sasser
Certified Wildlife Biologist
Nongame Wildlife Coordinator
Alabama Division of Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries
64 North Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: 334-242-3469

Is a state permit required for banding?

Yes. The regulation (below) applies to “take, capture, kill, or attempt to take, capture or kill.”

Permit Application Form

State lands

Yes, if requested with permit application

Prior notice

Holders of General Scientific Collection Permits must advise the local District
Conservation Enforcement Supervisor prior to making any collections (page 9). If collection activities for a given day occur in different counties where more than one district is involved, then each respective district must be notified. You can also notify the radio operator at (334) 242-3923 in the Montgomery Office, Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, Enforcement Section. Notification should be made at least two days in advance of collection activities if possible. The radio operator will require the following information: when and where collections will be conducted, species/taxa to be collected, and collections methods. Such notification must be made during normal working hours (M-F, 8am-5pm). When collections are to be carried out over a given period of time or on a scheduled basis, a copy of the schedule, including locations of collections and methods to be used in collecting will be acceptable in lieu of notification of each collection trip.


Nongame Species Protected by Alabama Regulations
220-2-.92 Nongame Species Regulation

These lists change! Always be sure to check with the state agency.

(1) It shall be unlawful to take, capture, kill, or attempt to take, capture or kill; possess, sell, trade for anything of monetary value, or offer to sell or trade for anything of monetary value, the following nongame wildlife species (or any parts or reproductive products of such species) without a scientific collection permit or written permit from the Commissioner, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, which shall specifically state what the permittee may do with regard to said species:


All nongame birds are protected under the provisions of this regulation except crows, starlings, English sparrows, Eurasian collared doves, pigeons, and other non-native species.

Alabama does not have a state endangered species act.